1.6K views
Featured Not resolved

Update by user Jun 17

If you have made contact with any attorney which has or is representing victims of the Direct Express program, and the attorney cannot take your case, I suggest you hire an individual attorney for yourself and refer that attorney to Franklin Lemond (Atlanta) or Ronald Wilcox (San Diego) for assistance. Both Mr.

Lemond and Mr. Wilcox are representing victims.

Update by user May 16

The new guard-dog for Bureau of Fiscal Services is a man named Thomas Santaniello. He is protecting the a group of persons at Fiscal Services who have refused to hear oral presentations from victims of Comerica Bank.

Everyone needs to call two persons: Thomas Santaniello (202) 874-6773 or (202) 309-3265 Send him an email at Thomas.Santaniello@fiscal.treasury.gov Then, call and report this call to Sonja Scott at OIG Treasury. Ms. Scott is receptive, and OIG Treasury is investigating Fiscal Services. Ms Scott can be reached at (202) 927-5874.

Her email address is ScottS@oig.treas.gov. When you email Santaniello and tell him about Comerica Bank, you must copy Ms. Scott on the email. You have to cover your bases.

I have personally documented over 105 persons' stories, which Ms. Scott has the list and stories. My telephone number has been flagged both at Bureau of Fiscal Services and at Conduent.

We have their attention, but you have to be active and keep pushing. Jim Simms

Update by user Feb 25

The class action suit against Comerica Bank and Conduent, administrators of the Direct Express debit card program, has been filed. There will be an opportunity for new plaintiffs to be added to the suit.

The attorney who is representing the plaintiffs is Franklin Lemond, of Atlanta GA. I have been receiving fraud complaints for a year, and have over 70 victims listed. I will be creating packages of victim information to be submitted to Mr. Lemond.

If you are a Direct Express debit card holder and you have been victimized, I will assist you in having your money returned.

Over 70 people have contacted me, and more than half have had their monies returned. Your case will be submitted to be included in the suit.

Update by user Feb 04

We have an attorney on board who is signing up victims of Comerica Bank and Conduent for civil damages. I have helped over 60 people, and most have had their monies returned, but all victims are entitled to sue for damages, such as stress, anxiety, loss of sleep, loss of a place to live, and many other grievances.First, we have to try to get your money back before you sign up with the attorney.

There are some initial things for you to do, and these are posted on other Direct Express threads. Protect yourself first, and this is how. The call center persons who answer the calls for Direct Express are not Direct Express employees.These are Conduent employees, basic call center persons, who have no banking background, no banking education, and no knowledge of Regulation e 15USC1693. Since I have begun posting the truth about about Comerica Bank and Conduent, they have become defensive and probably have had chats about the laws they are breaking.Your first line of defense is this:1)Before you call the call center, either go on line or use your phone and take a screen shot of the fraud or find the fraud on your statement.

Save a copy of the statement or the screenshot. 2) Call the call center and report the fraud. Make sure you ask the attendant what fraud she sees on the screen.This is important if you cannot get to your account.Write what they tell you; time, date, and amount.3) Email a copy of the fraudulent transaction, describing the transaction, to this email address: advocacy@usdirectexpress.comYou may copy me on the emai: jbsimms@erikpublishing.comEven if you cannot get a copy of your statement or a copy of the screenshot, write what you know about the fraud, and when you reported it.This covers you with respect to the initiation of the investigation and will help you get your money faster.4) After an hour or so, call the following numbers: (512) 250-7631 Alisha (Customer Service Advocacy, Supervisor)(210) 334-6673 Chantelle, Director of Advocacy(313) 222-7934 Susan Schmidt, SVP, ComericaCall these persons until they confirm they have your email, and tell the people in Schmidt's office that the Conduent subcontractors work for Comerica and they all will be liable for not following the law.Many of the persons at Comerica and Conduent think we cannot reach out and make them accountable.

They are wrong. Feel free to email me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com

Update by user Dec 13, 2018

This project, helping victims of Direct Express debit card fraud, has taken on a life of its own. Information and sources change almost daily.

I will give you a list of things to do before you contact me at: jbsimms@erikpublishing.com1) if you see fraud on your account, and maybe a "pending purchase," go to an ATM as fast as you can and get your money out of your account. The thief might try to hit your card numerous times, so get your money out.2) Call the customer service number on your card. Report the fraud, and get a new card. Make sure your address is correct with the call center person.

Thieves will change your address.3) If possible, go to your phone app for Direct Express and make a screen shot of the transactions. A screenshot can be done by pushing the on/off button and the round button on the bottom of your phone, at the same time. The shot will go to your photos.4) if possible, access your Direct Express account on your computer and save the statement page reflecting the fraud. Print this page, and circle the fraudulent transactions, labeling the circled items as "fraud" in large letters at the right of the transaction.

Fax this to (512) 298-3461 to the attention of Alisha. 5) Email advocacy@usdirectexpress.com and report the fraud. Attach the photos of the screenshot from your phone, then give a written detail of each fraudulent transaction. 6) In each email and/or fax, advise the recipient that the investigation as to begin immediately after the call to the call center, and this email will open email communication with the Conduent call center persons.

Advise this office that you are to be given full credit within ten day regardless if the "investigation" is concluded.7) Call the Fraud Unit at (888) 545-5577. Advise them you have reported the fraud and you are entitled to full provisional credit within 10 days of "giving notice." You may also call Customer Advocacy at (512) 250-7631 and remind them as well that you expect full provisional credit.8) Report the fraud to the local police. Basically you will be filling out an incident report. Keep a copy, and scan that into your computer.

9) If Conduent refuses to acknowledge fraud, contact Conduent via email, fax, and by telephone and demand a copy of the investigation.

10) Go online and join the Facebook page, Direct Express Cardholder Victims.Now you are on the road to protect yourself. Call me at (803) 309-6850 after you have done these things and I will be glad to speak with you.Jim Simms

Update by user Oct 10, 2018

The investigation into violation of federal banking laws, including Regulation E, Section 226.12 by Comerica Bank (illegally withholding funds from debit card holders) has taken a nice turn; not only is the OIG of Treasury and OIG of Social Security involved, but OIG of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) emailed me today. While the CFPB has been impotent with respect to fulfilling their mandate, I believe we have their attention.

Treasruy, Social Security, and CFPB have failed to protect Veterans, disabled Veterans, disabled civilians, and other Social Security recipients, whose funds are sent to a Direct Express debit card, administered by Comerica Bank. Again, if you know anyone who has had a problem with identity theft involving their Direct Express card, put them in touch with me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com This abuse ends here.

Update by user Sep 13, 2018

For all users of Direct Express debit cards, you will be glad to know that the work of a couple of us has resulted in the Office of Inspector General of Treasury and the Office of Inspector General of Social Security have committed to begin an investigation of Comerica and abuse they have committed on the cardholders. What we need is for victims of Direct Express, identity theft, illegally withholding funds, illegally withdrawing funds, and other harmful acts, to contact me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com, or (803) 309-6850.

We need your information in order to get your story into the investigation. In the meantime, make certain you call Susan Schmidt, the Comerica Customer Rep, at (313) 222-3435. She receives complaints from the BBB and the CFPB. She might try to send you to the Customer Advocate for Direct Express.

You must refuse, stand your ground, and tell her it is her job to fix the problem. The next person to call will be Nora Arpin, the SVP of Comerica, who is the connection between Treasury (and Comerica getting paid from taxpayer dollars) and Comerica. Nora can be reached at (248) 371- 6765. Make certain you tell both Nora and Susan that you will be in touch with JB Simms and Ms.

Densmore, and that you are aware that an investigation into their business practices is coming very soon.

Again, send me your story, and call these persons. We will make them accountable for what they have done, the Veterans they have abused, and the money they have taken from our government.

Update by user Aug 16, 2018

For you persons who have experienced identity theft from your Direct Express account, and the unnecessary delay in getting your money returned, be assured that this matter has gained the attention of national media. The person who is responsible for Comerica adhering to federal banking laws, as the subcontractor of the US government, is named Nora Arpin.

The telephone number I was given to reach her is (248) 371-6765. Arpin is supposedly the boss of Susan Schmidt and Susan Rutledge. After I made contact with Schmidt and Rutledge, Arpin personally researched my professional profile on LinkedIn. Her inquiry, along with the inquiry made by Mitchell Raymond (who works for Conduent, the company which runs the 6 call centers).

Arpin and Raymond know the customers are not going to tolerate these persons abusing customers and not doing their jobs. Call Nora Arpin at (248) 371-6765 and give her an earful. You can also look up Nora on Facebook under the name Nora Teagan Arpin. Feel free to leave messages there as well.

Nora can also be found on LinkedIn. If you have an account with LinkedIn, message her there.

We need all the stories we can get in order to drain the swamp at Comerica. You can always reach me at (803) 309-6850, and at jb.simms10@gmail.com

Original review posted by user Feb 05, 2018

My debit card account was hacked. I found the evidence on December 10, 2017.

I called Direct Express immediately and gave them notice of the intrusion. Direct Express has allowed a provisional purchase, made on December 9, 2017, to be paid to the fraudsters on December 22, 2017. I had to resort to contacting the Better Business Bureau in order to get to a representative of Direct Express. They have delayed their "investigation" after I gave them all the information they needed, and they have allowed additional debits to be made from my account.

Direct Express is in direct violation of a couple federal laws, Section 226.12 Paragraph 12 (B), and Paragraph 12 (B) 2 (iii) 3. They act with impunity and try to make excuses. They delayed the adjudication of my case from the original date of December 26 until January 10, 2018. The customer service advocate is protecting the "investigators." I have done their job; I know what they can do and should do.

I have friends who are in bank fraud units. Direct Express held up my money, compromised by business, and kept me from buying Christmas presents. I have payments to make for software which keeps me from working. The Comerica office in Detroit was of no help.

I spoke with a woman name Susan Schmidt, a VP, who referred the matter back to the same incompetent person at Direct Express. I had to collect the money from the vendor; Direct Express did not lift a finger to help, postponing my "case" for 2 weeks (also a violation). If I cannot get the attention of the fed agency to do their job, I am ready to recruit other disaffected customers and go after them for damages. They are doing this to older retirees whose cards have been compromised.

I am a retired private investigator, and I do not quit easily. I can be reached at my publishing company, Erik Publishing. Contact me, I am easy to find.

Anyone who had had monies held hostage by Direct Express as a result of fraud on your card, join me. I am moving forward and will help any and all.

Product or Service Mentioned: Direct Express Customer Care.

Reason of review: abuse of customer, violation of law.

Preferred solution: change the secretive structure of Direct Express, and stop abusing retirees. A public lawsuit will be nice..

Direct Express Cons: Lack of transparency, Abuse of customers by fraud department, Violation of fdic consumer protection law 6500.

Comments

TrivialSomali672

After having a smooth relationship with Direct Express for a little over three years, this past month has been a complete nightmare for me. Our family is really stressed out, and it all started because this one idiot representative decided to cancel our card without our authorization.

I will now be behind 2 months in rent , and they don't care at all. My husband who is my payee has gone to Social Security several times and they are aware of the problems that a lot of people are having with them. Thank God my husband has some side income, but they have no right to basically hold mine, and our sons' benefits hostage. They are a horrible company .

The agent over at Social Security was extremely sympathetic to our situation, and now he has set it up to where our funds are going to go directly to our new bank account which is Chase and it should take one to two weeks instead of one month. I did send an email to the Inspector General and I hope we get a response. I try to put a brave face in front of my kids and try not to cry as I worry about being able to feed them.

My heart goes out to anyone who is in this situtation and I can totally relate to them. I don't understand why the US Treasury is even allowing this to happen.

to TrivialSomali672 #1710798

Thank you for posting your story. Bureau of Fiscal Services has delayed the awarding of the Direct Express contract because of the investigation of Comerica Bank and Bureau of Fiscal Services.

It is good that you had your funds sent to another place.

All persons should contact their US senators and request a follow up investigation of Bureau of Fiscal Services by the General Accounting Office (GAO), and ask for a follow up to the report GAO 17-176. If the GAO gets involved, good things will happen.

to TrivialSomali672 #1712834

Sounds like A NO STAND UP COMPANY !

ArtisticSiberianTiger316

We need all customers to contact there State Senator and Repertative in there State to help get there funds back. Then add your name to the class action sue that Jim Simms involved with the bank.

to ArtisticSiberianTiger316 #1703388

I wish victims would. If one victim convinced their senator or representative to contact the GAO (General Accounting Office) and do a follow up investigation to report GAO 17-176, we could stop this mess quickly.

If you write to the BBB about Direct Express they seem to respond and do the right thing.

to Anonymous #1703391

The BBB simply sends your complaint to Susan Schmidt of Comerica Bank (Detroit). Schmidt sends the inquiry to a Conduent employee in Texas.

The fact that there is a huge suit against Comerica and Conduent is testament to the fact that nothing gets done. You have to call Sonja Scott at OIG Treasury at (202) 927-5874.

ParallelWasp251

I have yet to receive any money that was not authorized by me on my Direct Express Card last year in July. I have written several letters, sent tons of emails, made even more calls to the customer service department, the bank president, other fraud victims, department of Treasury people, the Social Security Department, Direct Express Fraud Department, Congressman, Reporters, and so on.

I am exhausted at the attempts i have made and failed results i have gotten. I really wish someone wouldmake these crooks do the promises they claim on their website suxh as offera provisional credit and a conduct a real investigation for our claims. I have only been rejected, ignored, overlooked, taken advantage of, humiliated, hung up on, given the run around, and told there were no more options forthe denial decision on ky dispute i filed last year regardless of me not authorizing any charges. I was unaware of these charges and i didnt think i was rver gonna be denied but i was and there were so many inconsistencies with the website is claiming the company does in the event this happens abd what actually happens that i lost count.

They dont represent honesty or any kind of protection for their consumers in the event fraud occurs on their card abd its disturbing and misleading to tell people they have protocols yet never even acknowledge any of them. These crooks are not regulated to be safe enough to trust our money we get to live on that most are already struggling with to survive and the Direct Express Card employees dont careand never even have a consistent reason to why they deny our disputes. I was treated rudely and im just wanting some resolution now its tiring going in circles for me. When are these people gonnabe addressed for their fraudulent business practices on the disabled and elder cinsumers they are taking advantage and steaking from?

Ive never had such a horrific experience with any company ive had any complaint with in my life.

These people lie to get your money anf then have no resolution as ti why it was stolen offtheir credit card without our consent. Someone please help us.

to ParallelWasp251 #1687277

The malfeasance of Comerica Bank, Conduent, and the Bureau of Fiscal Services has been well documented on these pages. If you still have an issue, and have not received your money, call Sonja Scott, OIG Treasury, at (202) 927-5874.

Before you call, send your narrative to Ms. Scott at Scott.S@oig.treas.gov. Her fax number is (202) 927-5404. Contacting Conduent and Comerica Bank is a waste of time, as you probably have found out.

You can call the head of the Fraud Unit at Conduent, Shantelle Johnson, at (210) 334-6673. She has banking experience but has shown no evidence of having no knowledge of any banking regulations. The "guard dog" of Fiscal Services is a person named Thomas Santaniello. Call him at (202) 874-6673 or (202) 309-3265.

Santaniello is protecting the persons at Fiscal Services who are deciding who gets the new contract. Make the calls. Do the work. Make good notes.

J.B. Simms

to ParallelWasp251 #1703393

Call Sonja Scott at OIG Treasury at (202) 927-5874. Tell her you got the number from Jim Simms.

SpryLeopardSeal156

my heart goes out to everyone having such problems with direct express. i too am disabled on ssi though in my early fourties they have fraudulentely taken hundreds of dollars from me over the past few years never deciding in my favor and never any explanation.

this month almost 200 dollars, but im done for me and everyone who is being taken. i have begun to make it my mission this gets resolved. i wrote an email to comerica bank, i ccd it to texas dept of banking in charge of comericas rules and standards i also ccd it to the white house.

i got a response the next day and have begun my quest to make sure they stop this nonsense. have faith this too shall pass

DarlingSnappingTurtle677

So had an atm short me 200 dollars. Bank says they can't handle but they saw that something happene.

Was told to go through direct express who after literally lying to me for over a month has come back from the investigation with no findings. Bank tells me I should of come in next day, which I did and everyone has contradicted everyone else. The money I was getting out was for rent and this has ended up costing me much more in time and stress than the initial 200.

As someone on a fixed income I don't understand how they are allowed to operate this way. My payee was there when the atm ripped me off and we are going to go make a bank account so this doesn't happen again but frankly it's disgusting it happened the first time No one is taking responsibility.

OssifiedJackdaw499

I'm in Texas. Direct Express has literally stolen $1604.65 of my SSI payments and refuses to speak to me about it.

When I'm able to get anyone on the phone they hang up on me. I have account statements sent to me BY Direct Express showing a very clear inconsistency. I've also called the Social Security Admin, Comerica bank and the BBB.

No one can or will help. I could potentially loose my home because of this.

to OssifiedJackdaw499 #1678285

Call Senator John Cornyn's office and ask for Mason. Tell them to send you a release, sign and return it.

Tell Mason you communicated with JB Simms. Email me the story, when you discovered the fraud, when you reported it, and the type of fraud. jbsimms@erikpublishing.com Fax the story to (512) 298-3461. That is Customer Advocacy for Direct Express (Conduent).

Then call (512) 250-7631 and find out if they got the fax.

You can fax me the same thing at (559) 435-9048. Conduent is starting to refuse to accept emails, so you have to fax them.

JBSimms

CL, I am in California, and I will lead you through the steps. If you have not read the steps printed, I will go over them with you immediately.

Call customer service and report the fraud. Have a new card sent to your correct address. Advise them that this call is notice and you are entitled to full credit within 10 days. Print out or save a copy of your statement showing the fraud.

Email this, along with your narrative to scschmidt@comerica.com and ntarpin@comerica.com File a claim of identity theft with the Federal Trade Commission Call Susan Schmidt of Comerica tomorrow morning at (313) 222-7934 or (313) 222-3435. Report the fraud.

Tell her that Comerica tried to stop cardholders from making email fraud complaints so now she gets the emails. If you want a quick chat, call me at (803) 309-6850 Jim Simms

SevereSawfish373
to JBSimms #1710764

I live in Myrtle Beach and last year we had to mandatory evacuate because of Hurricane Florence. I am disabled and received my benefits on the direct express card.

We went to the nearest motel which was in Georgia. I used my card at several gas stations. When we came back about a week later I checked my balance and I had $318. I went to the grocery store and found out that $300 had disappeared.

I immediately began calling direct express to report fraudulent charges. I filed a report that was denied. I was told on the phone by a rude so called investigator that I was lying because the charges came from a town in Georgia 75 miles away from me and I had obviously been there. I tried to explain that I had travelled through an area in Georgia because of the hurricane but did not spend $300.

They refused to believe me and hung up on me. I suffer from depression and PTSD and was in the care of a psychiatrist even before this happened. I almost lost my apartment and had to borrow money from my son for food.

I even received a phone call the next day to ask me what other credit cards did I have! I can't believe they can get away with this!

ClosedPrairieDog

My Social Security for March is gone! Someone called in, or so they say, and changed my address, to Alabama!

I am in California! Only person that knows my security questions, are person I spoke to!

Go figure! This comes across as Senior Financial Abuse!

to ClosedPrairieDog #1665876

I tried to post a reply, but was unable. A post as a review was necessary. Jim Simms

to JBSimms #1666262

I emailed you today, did you receive it?

Great!!!! If about time customers to figth back because I retired senior going through the same thing.

I can't wait for money . I work hard and I am a widow of a veteran. I can't pay my bills ect. I found out that Sen.

Elizabeth Warren is campaign on Capitol Hill about this Driect Express and the Comerica Bank. Keep up the good work!!!!