Update by user 1 day ago

This project, helping victims of Direct Express debit card fraud, has taken on a life of its own. Information and sources change almost daily.

I will give you a list of things to do before you contact me at: jbsimms@erikpublishing.com1) if you see fraud on your account, and maybe a "pending purchase," go to an ATM as fast as you can and get your money out of your account. The thief might try to hit your card numerous times, so get your money out.2) Call the customer service number on your card. Report the fraud, and get a new card. Make sure your address is correct with the call center person.

Thieves will change your address.3) If possible, go to your phone app for Direct Express and make a screen shot of the transactions. A screenshot can be done by pushing the on/off button and the round button on the bottom of your phone, at the same time. The shot will go to your photos.4) if possible, access your Direct Express account on your computer and save the statement page reflecting the fraud. Print this page, and circle the fraudulent transactions, labeling the circled items as "fraud" in large letters at the right of the transaction.

Fax this to (512) 298-3461 to the attention of Alisha. 5) Email advocacy@usdirectexpress.com and report the fraud. Attach the photos of the screenshot from your phone, then give a written detail of each fraudulent transaction. 6) In each email and/or fax, advise the recipient that the investigation as to begin immediately after the call to the call center, and this email will open email communication with the Conduent call center persons.

Advise this office that you are to be given full credit within ten day regardless if the "investigation" is concluded.7) Call the Fraud Unit at (888) 545-5577. Advise them you have reported the fraud and you are entitled to full provisional credit within 10 days of "giving notice." You may also call Customer Advocacy at (512) 250-7631 and remind them as well that you expect full provisional credit.8) Report the fraud to the local police. Basically you will be filling out an incident report. Keep a copy, and scan that into your computer.

9) If Conduent refuses to acknowledge fraud, contact Conduent via email, fax, and by telephone and demand a copy of the investigation.

10) Go online and join the Facebook page, Direct Express Cardholder Victims.Now you are on the road to protect yourself. Call me at (803) 309-6850 after you have done these things and I will be glad to speak with you.Jim Simms

Update by user Oct 10

The investigation into violation of federal banking laws, including Regulation E, Section 226.12 by Comerica Bank (illegally withholding funds from debit card holders) has taken a nice turn; not only is the OIG of Treasury and OIG of Social Security involved, but OIG of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) emailed me today. While the CFPB has been impotent with respect to fulfilling their mandate, I believe we have their attention.

Treasruy, Social Security, and CFPB have failed to protect Veterans, disabled Veterans, disabled civilians, and other Social Security recipients, whose funds are sent to a Direct Express debit card, administered by Comerica Bank. Again, if you know anyone who has had a problem with identity theft involving their Direct Express card, put them in touch with me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com This abuse ends here.

Update by user Sep 13

For all users of Direct Express debit cards, you will be glad to know that the work of a couple of us has resulted in the Office of Inspector General of Treasury and the Office of Inspector General of Social Security have committed to begin an investigation of Comerica and abuse they have committed on the cardholders. What we need is for victims of Direct Express, identity theft, illegally withholding funds, illegally withdrawing funds, and other harmful acts, to contact me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com, or (803) 309-6850.

We need your information in order to get your story into the investigation. In the meantime, make certain you call Susan Schmidt, the Comerica Customer Rep, at (313) 222-3435. She receives complaints from the BBB and the CFPB. She might try to send you to the Customer Advocate for Direct Express.

You must refuse, stand your ground, and tell her it is her job to fix the problem. The next person to call will be Nora Arpin, the SVP of Comerica, who is the connection between Treasury (and Comerica getting paid from taxpayer dollars) and Comerica. Nora can be reached at (248) 371- 6765. Make certain you tell both Nora and Susan that you will be in touch with JB Simms and Ms.

Densmore, and that you are aware that an investigation into their business practices is coming very soon.

Again, send me your story, and call these persons. We will make them accountable for what they have done, the Veterans they have abused, and the money they have taken from our government.

Update by user Aug 16

For you persons who have experienced identity theft from your Direct Express account, and the unnecessary delay in getting your money returned, be assured that this matter has gained the attention of national media. The person who is responsible for Comerica adhering to federal banking laws, as the subcontractor of the US government, is named Nora Arpin.

The telephone number I was given to reach her is (248) 371-6765. Arpin is supposedly the boss of Susan Schmidt and Susan Rutledge. After I made contact with Schmidt and Rutledge, Arpin personally researched my professional profile on LinkedIn. Her inquiry, along with the inquiry made by Mitchell Raymond (who works for Conduent, the company which runs the 6 call centers).

Arpin and Raymond know the customers are not going to tolerate these persons abusing customers and not doing their jobs. Call Nora Arpin at (248) 371-6765 and give her an earful. You can also look up Nora on Facebook under the name Nora Teagan Arpin. Feel free to leave messages there as well.

Nora can also be found on LinkedIn. If you have an account with LinkedIn, message her there.

We need all the stories we can get in order to drain the swamp at Comerica. You can always reach me at (803) 309-6850, and at jb.simms10@gmail.com

Original review posted by user Feb 05

My debit card account was hacked. I found the evidence on December 10, 2017.

I called Direct Express immediately and gave them notice of the intrusion. Direct Express has allowed a provisional purchase, made on December 9, 2017, to be paid to the fraudsters on December 22, 2017. I had to resort to contacting the Better Business Bureau in order to get to a representative of Direct Express. They have delayed their "investigation" after I gave them all the information they needed, and they have allowed additional debits to be made from my account.

Direct Express is in direct violation of a couple federal laws, Section 226.12 Paragraph 12 (B), and Paragraph 12 (B) 2 (iii) 3. They act with impunity and try to make excuses. They delayed the adjudication of my case from the original date of December 26 until January 10, 2018. The customer service advocate is protecting the "investigators." I have done their job; I know what they can do and should do.

I have friends who are in bank fraud units. Direct Express held up my money, compromised by business, and kept me from buying Christmas presents. I have payments to make for software which keeps me from working. The Comerica office in Detroit was of no help.

I spoke with a woman name Susan Schmidt, a VP, who referred the matter back to the same incompetent person at Direct Express. I had to collect the money from the vendor; Direct Express did not lift a finger to help, postponing my "case" for 2 weeks (also a violation). If I cannot get the attention of the fed agency to do their job, I am ready to recruit other disaffected customers and go after them for damages. They are doing this to older retirees whose cards have been compromised.

I am a retired private investigator, and I do not quit easily. I can be reached at my publishing company, Erik Publishing. Contact me, I am easy to find.

Anyone who had had monies held hostage by Direct Express as a result of fraud on your card, join me. I am moving forward and will help any and all.

Product or Service Mentioned: Direct Express Customer Care.

Reason of review: abuse of customer, violation of law.

Preferred solution: change the secretive structure of Direct Express, and stop abusing retirees. A public lawsuit will be nice..

I didn't like: Lack of transparency, Abuse of customers by fraud department, Violation of fdic consumer protection law 6500.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Feb 05.

Comments

My mother has been a victim as well. Someone calls Direct Express monthly and changes my mothers personal information including the address and has a new card sent to them.

Every month we have told them not to change the address and send anyone a new card. My mother has been a victim of identity theft countless times. They have used her social security number to file taxes and my parents ended up with a lean on their property. Social security office assured us there was a block on my mothers social security number and her Direct Express account but no that never happened.

I spoke with them last time and the lady assured me when my mothers name was pulled up in the system big letters appeared not to change the address due to identity theft. Well it's been less than a month and they let it happen again. Now Direct Express started asking my mother security questions they have never asked before and apparently they were wrong and they will not issue my mother a card or reimburse her the money they people used on her card. So we will be going to social security once again tomorrow and we will not be using direct express again.

They will either issue a paper check or deposit it into my fathers account. My parents are elderly and this has caused my mother anxiety and heart problems. They are on a fixed income and now its Christmas time and she can't get her check to pay bills and buy gifts.

Someone needs to hold these people accountable. I say a class action lawsuit.

Cynthia C
to Jennifer Monroe #1606789

Contact Cynthia at 404 457-5420. I can share some ways to hopefully recoup your funds

to Jennifer Monroe #1606844

Hope you can talk to Cynthia, I believe she called me. I do not recognize the phone number.

Make a list of all fraudulent charges against your mother's card. The OIG of Social Security should be called. We have the number. Also, there is a waiver to receive a paper check if your mother wishes.

We have that form, and this will take customers from Comerica Bank. We have attorneys (3) who have expressed interest.

I have had over 30 persons contact me, and more than half have had all their monies returned. You can email me the story at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com and we can decide the best route.

to Jennifer Monroe #1611961

Dear Jennifer, I apologize it took this long to answer you. I and others can help you get you money.

First, send an email to advocacy@usdirectexpress.com. State that you want a copy of each month of fraud found on the account, and a copy of the investigation into the account. The person you need to contact at Social Security is Sarah Lizama, of the Office of Inspector General of Social Security. Her email address is sarah.lizama@ssa.gov.

Ms. Lizama has been very receptive. If your parents have lost any money, let me know. There are others at Comerica Bank (which oversees Conduent, the call center) who can be contacted.

We have a tentative agreement with an attorney to represent persons. We have 3 fed agencies involved. We are moving hard and fast. We now have a Facebook page, Direct Express Cardholder Victims, which is now up and running.

We want to get accounts from all persons. You can reach me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com Jim Simms

I had my Direct Express card stolen and fraudulent charges were made....Direct Express has been rude, given me contradictory information and miss-information. I just looked them up on line-I never realized that had such a horrible reputation and the chances of getting my money back are slim to non-existent.

I am on Social Security Disability and depend on this money to survive.....there seems to be no one to go to for help regarding them. What am I going to do?

to Belle-Michele #1578674

Write your story and email it to Sarah Lizama, OIG of Social Security, at Sarah.Lizama@ssa.gov. Copy me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com.

Sarah's direct number is (410) 966-8385. Send the story to Sarah asap, then wait a few hours and call her to tell her what you sent. Also send a copy to Nora Arpin of Comerica Bank, who is the person responsible for allowing all this to happen. Nora's email is ntarpin@comerica.com.

The next person to copy will be Richard Delmar, Chief Counsel of Treasury OIG, at delmarr@oig.treas.gov. Another person to copy will be Sonya Scott, an investigator with Treasury OIG, ScottS@oig.treas.gov. Send a copy to jackiedenzz@yahoo.com. This sounds like a lot, but you need to write the story as best you can.

There is a lot happening, I will help you and others get answers. Make sure you make a police report, and include it in the complaint. A stolen card complaint is different than an electronic theft, so cover your bases. I need time and place of everything.

Take the time to do this. If you want, send me the first draft of your story and I will contact you to fill in gaps if I see any. Put your phone number in your email to me, again Jim Simms, jbsimms@erikpublishing.com If anyone else has their card stolen, report it to the police before you send any information to Direct Express.

My experience is the "fraud unit" at Direct Express does not know how to read a police incident report, but our persons in Washington DC certainly know how. Jim

Cynthia C
to JBSimms #1606792

Don't forget to report to report to the local police, identitytheft.gov, and try talking to the vendors about the transactions.

I have attempted to get help from direct express regarding purchases and withdrawls due to identity theft. Could some help me get to the right area so i can join the voice of reason on these fradulant charges.

Felicity palma 615-389-7191. Thank you

Contact me we need victims and numbers for the lawsuit we also know how to get your money faster Jackie 508 317 9323 Jackiedenzz@yahoo.com

Over $1400.00 total not settled! I will gladly join a class action suit

to MSS #1547339

Contact me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com Write your entire experience, as much as you remember. Send it to me with your phone number.

We need as many persons as possible. I will call you after I read your story. If you want help, and to be involved, you have a bit of work to do. You HAVE to write the story for me to read so I can include it.

Tell me about your contact with Direct Express, the BBB, Comerica, the call center, everything, what you lost, and what they told you. We need you to be a part of this.

to MSS #1547340

to MSS #1559704

What is your contact info so we can include you as a victim

to MSS #1575905

Contact me at jbsimms@erikpublishing.com Tell the story and send your contact info. We are making things happen. Jim Simms (803) 309-6850

413.90$ I got ripped off, no cooperation at all, shady business practices.

to Anonymous #1547341

#1532045

I've been paying back a debt of just over 2000$ I'm supposed to be getting a sum of 733$ monthly but for over a year I've been receiving 650$ and my debt still hasn't been played off? It's not making any sense to me . what do you think I should do?

to nola #1547342

J.B. Simms

I GOTTA SAY THANK YOU,, GOD HAS ANSWERED MY PRAYERS,, I'VE BEEN RIPPED OFF BY DIRECT EXPRESS TO MANY TIMES,, ALONG WITH MILLION OF OTHERS,,DEC I HAD NO XMAS AND MAY AGAIN NOTHING,, MY MAIN QUESTION IS DOES SOCIAL SECURITY NOT HEAR AND SEE THAT DIRECT EXPRESS IS DOING THIS,, AND WHY DO THEY REMAIN USING THEM,,? DOESN'T THIS CONVERST ANYONE ELSE'S THOUGHTS AND RAISE AN EYEBROW? THANK GOD FOR THIS ACTION SUIT,, WE NEED AS DIRECT EXPRESS CARD HOLDERS,, AND I KNOW I LIVE ON MY CHECK,, PEOPLE WE DO NEED TO COME TOGETHER AND ERIK PUBLICER,, YOUR AN ANGEL WHO US WHO NEED A STRONG LEADER,,PLEASE CAN WE DO THIS CIVIL SUIT,, IF THERE A LAWYER,, HELP WE NEED THIS COMPANY TO STOP RIPPING US OFF,, SAN DIEGO HOMELESS ARE HAPPENING DAILY,, FOR THIS REASON,, LET'S DO THIS!!

to Stacey cogswell #1547343